Welcome to Upson-Lee Middle School
Upson-Lee Middle School serves approximately 950 students in grades 6-8 and is a Georgia Lighthouse School to Watch. A lighthouse school is recognized for academic excellence, strong leadership, faculty responsiveness to the needs and interests of students, and commitment to assessment and accountability in order to bring about continuous improvement. Upson-Lee Middle School offers a broad and challenging curriculum to meet the needs of the middle grades child. Dedicated, hard-working, and talented faculty and staff are committed to providing all students with the knowledge and skills that will equip them for the future. The school’s strong technology focus includes ACTIVboard Collaborative Classroom systems in all classrooms as well as a 1:1 student to modern laptop computer initiative. The school is fully accredited by the AdvancEd (SACS/CASSI) and is accredited with quality by the Georgia Accrediting Commission (GAC).
Principal: Mrs. Rhonda Gulley
Coronavirus Information for ULMS Stakeholders
March 3, 2020
On Monday, March 2, Governor Brian Kemp confirmed the first two cases of coronavirus within the state of Georgia. The Thomaston-Upson School System continues to be vigilant and proactive in our efforts to keep students and staff safe at school. We are closely monitoring information from the Georgia Department of Public Health (GA DPH) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak that originated in China, and we want to remind you of CDC recommendations for protection against viral infections:
- Staff and students should stay home when sick.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or the inside of your elbow.
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 60%-95% alcohol.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects.
Additional information is available at the Georgia Department of Public Health. Thank you for your support and for helping to keep our schools safe.
Georgia Lighthouse School To Watch
Upson-Lee Middle School (ULMS) was designated a Georgia Lighthouse School To Watch in 2005. Since 2005, ULMS has been redesignated in 2008, 2011, and 2014.
Important Information for ULMS Stakeholders
Important Information for TU Stakeholders:
The decision has been made to close Thomaston-Upson Schools through Friday, March 20. The primary purpose of this closure is to reduce the risk of transmission of illness between staff, students, and the greater Thomaston-Upson community. This type of closure is new to us all and differs from a severe weather closure or a school holiday. During this time, we will make every effort to continue to provide our students with quality educational opportunities. Our school nutrition staff will provide meals for students with needs; our custodial staff will clean and disinfect our facilities; our bus drivers will clean and disinfect all buses; and our district staff will continue to provide essential services for faculty, staff, and students, as needed. Please see the important information below:
Medications left in school clinics:
• March 16, 8 AM – 10 AM: School nurses will be in the school clinics so that parents/guardians may pick up student medication that was left in the clinics.
Thomaston-Upson School Nutrition will operate School Meal Pick-Up Sites on Tuesday, March 17, 2020, from 11:30 AM - 1 PM while supplies last. Students may pick up a food box for two meals a day for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. The following rules will apply:
• Any child 18 years old and younger is eligible to receive meals.
• The student(s) must be present to receive a meal package.
• No adult meals can be provided (neither free or pay)
• Parents should monitor food content for their students’ allergies or special dietary needs
Meal Pick-Up Sites:
(Open Tuesday, March 17, 11:30 – 1 PM while supplies last)
Upson-Lee High School (back bus ramp/drive-through only)
Greatest Generation Park
Hannah’s Mill Apartments
Lincoln Park/Worthy Community Center
Park Street Playground
Potempkin Village Apartments
Rose Hill Mobile Home Park
Third Street Community Lot
Thomaston Garden Apartments
Triune Mill/Thomaston Housing Authority
West Valley Apartments
Yatesville Community Center
Support for Student Learning:
• Teachers will provide digital learning opportunities to all students who have Internet access in their homes. All instructional materials will be posted on Google classroom or on the teachers’ websites/social sites.
• Students without Internet access in their homes may pick up a paper/pencil learning packet at any of the School Meal Pick-Up Sites on Tuesday, March 17, from 11:30 AM – 1 PM. Digital Links: 6th Grade Math School Closing Work.jpg 8th Grade Math Absence Work.jpg 7th Grade Math Absence Work.jpg ELA school Closing Work.jpg
• March 17 – 20, 9 AM – 10 AM daily: Teachers will provide immediate digital access to students and their parents or guardians. (Digital communication guidelines during other times of the day will follow current procedures stating that the teacher has 24 hours to respond to parent communication.)
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we respond to this rapidly evolving public health situation. Please stay safe!